Program Dates: July 11-20
COSI 2017 is pleased to offer its Opera Composition program, directed by Dean Burry, in combination with members of COSI’s magnificent artistic teams.
Apply for the COSI Opera Composition program via COSI’s YAPtracker link.
In receiving your application for the program, you will then be contacted by us to submit two examples of your compositions. Vocal and/or instrumental pieces are welcome, though examples of previous operatic writing are encouraged.
Successful applicants will:
- Submit a vocal composition or opera scene before the program.
- Collaboratively create a scene while at the program.
- Receive a final public presentation and recording.
Get back to your roots! In the last 400 years, opera has evolved into an incredibly rich and varied art form, drawing inspiration from cultures the world over. But it all started in Italy. The Opera Composition program allows both new and experienced opera composers to develop their own contemporary opera skills while drawing inspiration and guidance from the exceptional singers, collaborative pianists, directors and designers of the COSI program, all within the beautiful setting of the two thousand-year-old city of Sulmona. As part of the intensive one-week program, composers will have the opportunity to compose and workshop two complete opera scenes, attend masterclasses in vocal writing, dramaturgy and the libretto, building a career in the opera field. In addition… Enjoy a trip to Rome and a performance of one of Italy’s iconic operatic works at the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma.
The Opera Composition program includes:
- Vocal masterclasses that will inform about writing for the voice, and the particular considerations for each voice type and differences within those voice types (writing for different kinds of sopranos, for example).
- Dramaturgy and the libretto – how to work with a libretto or consider writing one.
- Building a Composing Career in Opera
- Elements of Design
- Private composition lessons with Dean Burry.
Enrollment is limited. To inquire further about submitting your compositions as part of your application to COSI’s Opera Composition program, contact: email@example.com
Tuition information is on the “Costs” page. Click here.